A Midsummers Evening Dream watching the Merchant of Venice in the magical Stratford-upon-Avon

11203237_996103770402859_4939293059710944148_nBy Kinga Bochenska

When reading any of Shakespeare’s poetic sonnets or complex plays my mind has often wondered to a certain question:  Where did this genius come from? 

Of course it is not that hard to find out nowadays. With a little help from the Internet and biography notes printed within copies of Shakespeare’s work it was easy for me to establish that the birthplace of William Shakespeare leads to a little town called Stratford-Upon-Avon. When I found out that #DMUglobal was offering the chance to visit Shakespeare’s birthplace and watch the wonderful Merchant of Venice, I jumped at the opportunity!

As we approached the town, I quickly came to realise that Stratford is amazing. Not only is it historically famous for being the birthplace of Shakespeare, but it is also home to some of the most magical and picturesque views I have ever had the pleasure of encountering.

On the day of the trip the weather was, as always, unpredictable – with occasional heavy showers.  However, no one seemed to be bothered about it. Before the play began we had time to stroll around the town’s beautiful centre and grab a bite to eat. Then we headed to the theatre where we were lucky enough to have a short introduction to Shakespeare and his play ‘The Merchant of Venice’.

Sitting at the front of the newly redecorated Shakespeare’s Royal Company Theatre and listening to an introduction to Shakespeare’s life was, hands down, one of the most incredible experiences so far during my studies at DMU. The performance itself was just a pure masterpiece. For a few hours of that day, it felt like I was in a different reality full of beauty, history, literature and language.

Stratford is a perfect place for offering an educational, entertaining and emotional journey.  For a linguist and MA ELT student, Stratford-Upon-Avon has always been at the top of my must see places and I could not be more happy and grateful that it happened with the help of my University, DMU.

Thank you #DMUglobal!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.